How to locate a book at Holy Cross
Books at Holy Cross are arranged by Library of Congress Call Number. Video: How to Read Call Numbers
When looking up a book in the catalog, take note of the location:
- Books from the Science Library and the Music Library will list those locations.
- Books listed as Dinand Reference are in the Main Reading Room of Dinand.
- When WAM is listed as a location, the book is at the Worcester Art Museum Library.
- You may also see Rehm Library listed; this library is located in Smith Hall.
- When you see Archives or Special Collections listed as the location, the item is on the 3rd floor Dinand.
- When an item is listed as being on Reserve, it can be checked out the Circulation desk of the library where it is located.
|A - G||Mezzanine Level of Dinand
Please see maps to the right for more details.
|H - L||Lower (Ground) level of Dinand|
|N - P||Lower (Ground) level of Dinand|
|Q - T||Science Library|
|U - Z||Lower (Ground) level of Dinand
- Plus signs (+) in call numbers mean that a book is taller than normal and is in the oversize section, at the end of each letter section.*
- Dinand print journals: Recent journals & newspapers are in the Periodicals Room. Most non-current journals are bound an shelved by call number in the stacks.
- Science Library print journals: New journals are single issues of journals published in the last 12-18 months-- usually the current calendar year plus issues from the previous calendar year. The new journals are located in front (East) end of the library. Bound journals are several issues of journals bound together into a hard cover volume. Single issues of journals published more than 18 months ago are also located in the Bound Journals area. Older single issues and bound journals are located in the back (West) end of the library.
*Dinand and the Music Library have oversize sections, but the Science Library does not. Also, some Call Number letters have a ++ (double plus sign) Oversize section after the regular + Oversize section.